Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Grandmother and Salem

I have been blessed to live all my life and still have an honest to goodness incredible Grandmother at my side in life: Grandmother Mary Jean Thompson

Grandmother has been committed to Oregon Territory and the land of Salem and Portland for most as long as I remember except for some number of years in Reno, Nevada. Grandmother had the great futune of being one to weigh heavily upon my very own name, and I am ever glad that she had. Between Book of Mormon and Biblical characters and meanings, I may have been named Moroni ---[Something]--- Thompson. Mary Jean had the foresight to comprehend what so many others in todays world view would only find odd or an opportinity for ridicule and hoped that my name would be different. Living in Salem, the capital of Oregon, was excited when mother had my name fit perfect: Salem Moroni Thompson. For influence great or small, I am gald that Grandmother's hopes were found. My many thanks to you and mother as I have never regreted the name and feel it to give me something as a meaning to live for in life.


Naming, however, has only been the beginning of a long string of influence and development for me and my family under her son, and my father, Brooks Thompson. For a long part of life, Newt Thompson and Mary Jean were parent to Brooks. Brooks and his older brother Craig (formerly names James and john Ray) become adopted to Newt Thompson and kept them as his sons for many many years. Under Newt and Mary Jeans's circles of care, they gave a high rise for some of the best of experience. Skiing was one of those. Newt was an Olympic Champions training coach and made sure that 'Papa' was good enough to win national downhill ski competions with speads arround 80 mph! Grandma had actually met Newt Thompson on a ski run that they made a day ski-date out of. Much later in life Newt and Mary Jean were separated, but Mary still made sure that we as her son and grandchildren got plenty of skiing experience. One of the most memorable events ever was that of the resort near Tahoe Lake [reseort name?] where she and all of Brooks and Bonnies family went skiing for the day. it was there she paid for real beginners training and of which took most of the day for me to learn. I gain a great deal of confidence because of that. Late on, with ski trips with Papa, he helped me refine the art and sport so I could do mogules, steep swooping carves, and jumping- to some extent.

to be continued...

No comments: